Acne is the term for the blocked pores, pimples, and deeper lumps that can appear on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and upper arms. 17 million Americans currently have acne, making it the most common skin disease in the country. It affects mostly teenagers, although adults of any age can have it.
Types of Acne
- Closed comedones ("Whiteheads"): Whiteheads can occur on the surface of the skin and can be caused when the pore is completely blocked, trapping sebum (oil), bacteria, and dead skin cells. The blockage can cause a white appearance on the surface of the skin, hence the name “whitehead.”
- Open comedones (also known as “Blackheads”): Blackheads result from the pore being partially blocked by sebaceous debris composed of dead skin cells, sebum and bacteria. The black color results from oxidization of melanin in the skin. A blackhead tends to be a stable structure and can often take a long time to clear.
- Papules: Papules are the mildest form of inflammatory acne. They occur on the skin as solid, small, but inflamed red bumps that feel tender
- Pustules: Pustules are small round dome shaped lesions with visible white or yellow “centers” of pus.
- Nodules: Nodules are solid, dome-shaped or irregularly shaped lesions that feel like hard bumps right under the skin’s surface an extend into deeper layers of the skin, often causing tissue destruction that results in scarring.
- Cysts: Acne cysts are larger than pustules and appear similar to a nodule except that they are pus filled. Cysts can be painful lesions.
Lasers Based Treatments
SmoothBeam Laser is approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for the treatment of acne and acne scarring. The SmoothBeam may be an excellent treatment for you if you are coping with acne and acne scarring. Each laser session takes approximately 20 minutes. Treatments are done at 3 to 4 week intervals. Up to 6 treatments may be needed.
» For more information about SmoothBeam Laser, please click here
The ClearLight is an FDA-approved treatment for acne. The innovative ClearLight System is powered by light-based Acne PhotoClearing (APC) technology, which penetrates the skin and destroys surface and ductal p. acnes bacteria quickly and easily. Its destruction rate surpasses the normal proliferation rate, assuring a rapid decrease in p. acnes that is unmatched by other treatments. This is a completely painless procedure. This is a safe procedure with almost no side effects. This treatment is designed for those individuals who have failed or who do not want to take antibiotics. A total of 8 treatments are recommended. Treatments are performed twice weekly.
Photodynamic therapy for acne is an effective acne treatment. This treatment is not yet approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). Treatments involve the application of a chemical for one hour, followed by activation of the chemical with a light source (typically ClearLight or intense pulsed light). Patients must avoid the sun for 48 hours after each treatment. Side effects include redness and/or peeling. Treatments are done every 2 to 3 weeks. Multiple treatment sessions (up to 6) may be needed for best results.
PPx Pore-Cleansing ACNE Treatment™ Technology & How it Works
The PPx Pore-Cleansing ACNE Treatment™ helps clear acne while helping to cleanse your pores. This unique acne treatment has even helped people who previously did not respond to topicals, antibiotics and painful laser treatments.*
Painless, quick and effective are three words that describe the PPx Pore-Cleansing ACNE Treatment™. There are no numbing gels, no lengthy treatment times or no sensitivity to light, so you’re in and out in a flash.
» For more information on Acne Treatment click here
PPx Acne Treatment Results
In a recent study, the PPx Pore-Cleansing ACNE Treatment™ even worked for people who had previously tried but had no results from orals, medications, topicals and lasers. Here were the results with PPx Pore-Cleansing ACNE Treatment™:
- 64% of "non-responders" to orals, topicals and lasers had over 75% clearance.*
- There was IMMEDIATE visible impact on acne-Patients saw an improvement within 24-
- Patients had 88% clearance of popular, pustular, comedonal, nodular and inflammatory acne!*
For more information about Acne Treatment or to schedule an appointment, contact our Office.